Wednesday, June 13, 2012

C3 (CubexCursedxCurious) Review

シーキューブ
C3
or CubexCursedxCurious


This show aired winter 2011 I think
Adapted from a Light Novel of the same name.


Before I say anything, this is a weird show. It's a really weird show.
I don't know what I was smoking when I decided to watch it, and when I finished, I left with mixed feeling about it.


CHARACTERS (4/5)



It's a small cast, with one male (Haruaki Yachi, left) and every other major character is female. The female lead is Fear Kubrick (Right), who is a cursed tool. We also meet several other characters, the most notable being Ueno Kirika. Lets.... Not talk too much about that. THAT scene gave me the shivers....
The personalities of the cast can seem somewhat generic (think Taiga, or Touma) at first, but as we go further into the show, we find that is not quite the case.


That being said, the dual nature, as well as some of the backstories/hidden facades some of the characters have, make for a very interesting story. I will also praise the voice actors for delivering a very well done performance of their characters, it's things like that which help to bring the cast alive


SETTING/ANIMATION (4/5)


I won't speak too much about the setting, as it's a common school/town setting. C3 wins points for the animation. Not so much the character animation, but the backgrounds, the animation shifts, and the color palette.


The changes in style of the animation are reminisce of Bakemonogatari.


     



And color is used very nicely to show shifts in the mood of the show.
In general, Red is something that is deeper, and blue is the shallow daily lives of the cast. Aside from Haruaki.







STORY (2/5)


I'll have to admit, the story is weak. Despite the events that happen within the show, the pacing can ruin certain moments, hint: Indulgence Disks, or Kuroe's entrance into the show. This being an adaption, is hinting at a next season, which I assume will explain more, and in general be better, but whatever that is, the first season feels underdeveloped.






MUSIC (5/5)


Another high point of the show, unlike a certain other show I am watching presently, the score is both well written, and plays well. The music adds to the scene, and it never feels like it's fighting the voices of the characters.


Having a beautiful opening video's doesn't hurt either
Via youtube (not mine)


OVERALL (3.75/5)


This isn't bad show to watch. If you can get over all of the... Eccentricities...
It's not an entry level show, but if you are into grimdark and violent with stark contrasts, then you will like it. It's also something I would not recommend the casual viewer.



No comments:

Post a Comment