Saturday, July 7, 2012

Japanese 101 - Suggestions (ます)

I know, I know, I said I was closing it.

Well, during my stay in Japan, I realized that many of the questions asked to me were suggestions, and then I spent a while wondering if I had ever added that to "Japanese 101". Checked 101, it wasn't there, so here you go

Well, like all the other general ます conjugations, it's easy. Take the ~ます ending, cut it off, and replace it with ~ましょう

So, eat (more accurately "will eat") 食べます, becomes 食べましょう, do you wan't to eat?

Also, the です ending, can become でしょう, which can be used to suggest non-verbs.
It's a bad example, but 冒険でしょうでしょう (Boken Deshou Deshou) the name of the Haruhi ED, is saying "It's an adventure isn't it?" so, basically suggesting that something is an adventure.

I'll add this to the Japanese 101 page.

No comments:

Post a Comment