Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Japanese 101 - てもいい Can I do this? (Mini Lesson)

Short post this time.
Mini lessons can and will be posted at any time.

Will show how to ask if you can do something.
I hope you read the て form before, because this is built entirely on that.

To ask if you can do something, put it in the て form, then add moii desu ka (もいい です か).
Literal translation, "is it good for me to do this?"

If then answer is yes, then it would be hai (はい) or ii desu (いいです) or something along those lines.
If the answer is no, the it will be Verb in て form ha dame (はだめ)

Here is an imaginary conversation

Person A: これは写真がとってもいいですか?
Person B: はいいいです。

Person A: kore ha shashin ga totte mo ii desu ka?
Person B: hai ii desu

Person A: Can I take a picture of this?
Person B: It's fine

Example 2

Person A: すみません、神社のなかがとってもいいですか?
Person B: いいえ、とってはだめ。

Person A: sumimasen, jinja no naka ga totte mo ii desu ka?
Person B: iie, totte ha dame


Person A: Excuse me, can I take a picture of the inside of the shrine?
Person B: No, it is not allowed



Cultural note: In Japan, you are not allowed to take pictures inside of a temple


No comments:

Post a Comment