Sunday, May 13, 2012

Japanese 101 - Potential Form

This form of conjugation is used to express potential, or, the ability to do.
It requires form changing similar to the て form, so I split it from the main post.

This is different between the three groups of verbs.

For Group 1, first you need to spell out the word.
Lets use "To Speak" - Hanashimasu - はなします - 話します
and "To Go" - Ikimasu - いきます - 行きます

To express a Group 1 verb in the potential form, we need to change the kana immediately following the verb root from an "I" to an "E".

Confusing?
That is why there are examples.

Hanashimasu, to speak (はなします・話します) becomes Hanasemasu, can speak (はなせます・話せます).

Used in a sentence:


Nihongo wo Hanashimasu - 日本語を話します - I will speak Japanese
Nihongo ga Hanasemasu - 日本語が話せます - I can speak Japanese

Kouen ni Ikimasu - 公園に行きます - I will go to the park
Kouen ga Ikemasu - 公園が行けます - I can go to the park

This is useful for saying allergies in Japanese, should you ever visit.

For Group two verbs, It's a little easier
I will use "To Eat" - Tabemasu - たべます - 食べます

To Express potential in this form, drop the ~ます and switch it with a ~られます (More formal) or ~られる (more informal)

"To Eat" -食べます Becomes "Can Eat" - 食べられます
Sushi wo Tabemasu - すしを食べます - I will eat sushi
Sushi ga Taberaremasu - すしを食べられます - I can eat sushi

Group 3's are irregular.

Off the top of my head, Shimasu - します (to do) is the only one. I'll post an update if I can find others
It becomes dekimasu - できます (can do)

to use it in a sentence:
Kore ga dekimasu
これができます
I can do this


With the potential form, always use "Ga" (が) as the particle before it.
Conjugating a very in the potential form is the same as any other verb. Just change the ~ます to what you need. Look on "Japanese 101" for standard verb conjugations.

No comments:

Post a Comment