Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Japanese 101 - Verb Conjugations 1

Here are all the conjugations that I am aware of for the ます form.
Aside from potential (ability), that will be in another post, as it is more lengthy.
Keep in mind this is more polite Japanese.

In Japanese, a verb in the masu (ます) form is a future action.
We will be using the word:
Ikimasu (行きます)
Iku as dictionary form (行く)
It means to go

Also, this kanji: 僕 is Boku (ぼく) which is masculine for I
Females would use Watashi (わたし) when referring to themselves
the kanji for that is: 私

Verb in standard ます form
kouen ni ikimasu
僕は公園に行きます
I will go to the park

To make a verb negative, change the ます to masen (ません)
Kouen ni ikimasen
僕は公園に行きません
I won't go to the park

To make a verb past tense, change ますto mashita (ました)
僕は公園に行きました
I went to the park

To make a verb past-Negative change ますto ませんでした
僕は公園に行きませんでした
I didn't go to the park

To express desire or want to do something with a verb, change ますto たい
僕は公園に行きたい
I want to go to the park

No comments:

Post a Comment